Artist Story > Honour Bright


When I came across Alex's cards I was immediately smitten. They're simple and all-around sweet. Evidence of an artist who spends days with her paint brushes. From her website > "There is nothing like a handwritten note.  By jotting down words we can nurture friendships and share our stories and adventures. I want to create cards I'd be happy to find in my mailbox and use in my life."


Here's a little insight into Honour Bright's story >

Where do you live?

I live out in the country so this is always a tough one for me to explain... I'm a little ways outside of Eugenia, in Grey County (Ontario). Collingwood is the closest city and where I go to meet friends for coffee dates or catch a movie.

How did you start Honour Bright?

Well, I'm obsessed with stationery and I really wanted to put my art degree to work somehow. It's something I thought about for a long time but wasn't really sure where to begin... Starting your own business can be intimidating so I kept putting it off. Then I got to the point where I was ready to stop floating through life without giving it a real shot. A couple years before I started Honour Bright my Dad passed away. There was some healing that needed to happen first, but I realized that life was short and if I had a dream I should just go for it. So I started working on my designs and figuring out one thing at a time. I applied for the Starter Company program through the Collingwood Small Business Centre. They were amazing!!! They help train you on all the behind the scenes business stuff that is not so glamorous but super necessary. Things just grew from there!
 

What are you reading?

I'm reading Pride + Prejudice. Again. I was trying to decide on a new book to read and gave up and picked up an old favourite.

Where did you last travel?

It's been so long!!! My last big trip was traveling around England and Scotland with my lovely cousin. But that was ages ago. My last little trip was just down to Toronto. A friend had a booth at the Artist Project so I went down to help and we made a weekend of it.


What are your influences/inspiration?

Cheesy songs. Sweet sayings. Vintage patterns. Pretty photos. Good friends. Etc.

What's your favourite podcast?

Can I pick two? I love, love, love Lux Radio Theatre. It's a collection of dramas from the 30's and 40's where actors would read movie scripts adapted for the radio. It's so much fun to just get swept away in the funny stories and the music and all the awesome sound effects. I swear I even like the commercials... But, when I feel like learning something I always put on the BBC podcast In Our Time. A bunch of professors sit around and discuss some interesting part of history. It makes me feel a little closer to my childhood dream of being Indiana Jones.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Write letters of course! Also, I really love baking (but I do try to limit myself). Dancing to oldies music is pretty much a daily thing for me... When I have a day off I will usually work on a painting, read a book or go hiking.


Find Honour Bright > website instagram facebook

Comments